How to Move Large Furniture Easily by Yourself?
- Get the equipment and packing supplies that you need. Without them you will be helpless – large and heavy furniture needs to be handled by more people and the right tools to assist you. That means furniture dolly and straps to keep the furniture on the dolly stable. You can also use sliders – they are convenient because with them you would be able to move your furniture around the room much more easily. You will also need to have packing tape and packing paper for wrapping up the items you take out of your furniture.
- As you are supplying yourself with the materials that you will need for the move, take the time to empty your furniture. Whether that is the wardrobe, drawers, cabinets, etc. it will be lighter for you to move heavy furniture by yourself if the furniture is empty. Besides, if there is something rattling inside it, that could break or even worse – cause the furniture to shift around and eventually fall over. And there is no need for anybody to get hurt to get this tough job done.
- Apply the right moving technique. Don’t lift up heavy items. How to move heavy furniture alone? Instead, slide them around. It will save you effort and energy. Pushing yourself to lift heavy items is a risk for your health, home, and for the item itself, especially if you don’t know what technique to use for that. Spare yourself the potential trouble. Still, if you have to lift something, try to keep the weight on your legs, arms and shoulders, and spare your back. Try to keep it straight as much as possible.
- Use sliders for your furniture instead of lifting it by hand. You can also wrap the legs of your furniture and slide it, instead of lift it. If you have a carpet floor, you can use smooth cardboard. If you have bare floors, you can use towels. Slip them underneath the legs of your furniture – don’t lift it; just tilt it gently on its side and slide the right material underneath.
- Having in mind the weight of each piece of your furniture, try to find some friends/ colleagues/ relatives/ etc. over to help. Make sure that you have at least 1 person for each 100 pounds of weight of the item and 1 person extra to help you in case someone tilts the furniture, it starts slipping from his hands, etc. That is, if your heaviest piece of furniture weights 300 pounds, get 4 people to help you.
- Get the equipment for the moving men. If you have invited your friends over, ensure that they have rugged leather work gloves and wear belts on their wastes to protect themselves during the move. The gloves are good to protect the hands from sharp edges and when the item moved could get slippery. The belts will support the backs of the men.
Using the Movers!Now how about getting the movers to help? Now that is the easy part.
- Get a quote in order to find out the cost of the move for you. Compare the price estimates that you get and then hire movers. Remember to be clear on what the quote includes exactly before comparing them. Some estimates may include the packing, for example.
- The movers will know what equipment to get – just make sure to be clear what is included in your quote. They could provide the moving equipment, packing materials, men, and vehicle – negotiate the price for them.
- Make sure the move is possible. If you are in an apartment, try to reserve an elevator for the time of the move. Going up and down the stairs will cost you a lot of time and therefore – money. Especially if your move is being charged by the hour.
- Check the route to your house – will there be enough space for the moving vehicle to reach to your house and for the furniture to pass through the doors or windows? If not, then it should be dismantled. If you cannot get your furniture through the door, the movers will use special equipment to take it out the window.
- Get a visual estimate for best organization of your relocation. When moving big furniture, the movers will need to take a look at your home in order to be able to arrange the details of the move the right way.